New recipe – creamy and tangy stilton scones
White or Blue Stilton Savoury Scones #BetterThanFeta
A stalwart of afternoon teas, scones have long been a crowd-pleaser, especially when served with jam and thick clotted cream on a warm summer’s day.
Our special recipe, which uses our creamy and tangy Hartington White Stilton cheese or Blue Stilton cheese if you prefer, offers something altogether more savoury, with a bit of a kick! Replace the Jam with one of our Pikehall Preserves Chutneys and spoil yourself with an extra slice of the finest Derbyshire White or Blue Stilton.
Preheat your oven to 450°f or 230°c or 200°c for fan ovens. Then just follow the method instructions below.
- ½ lb / 225g self-raising flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces / 60g unsalted butter
- 1 ounce / 30g of our white or blue stilton cheese, grated
- 5 fluid ounces / 140ml of milk plus extra for brushing
- Sift the flour, salt, mustard powder and cayenne pepper into a bowl.
- Rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Mix in the grated Hartington White Stilton or Hartington Blue Stilton
- Add all the milk at the same time.
- Mix to a soft, but not sticky, dough with a knife.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead quickly until smooth.
- Roll out to about a half-inch thickness.
- Cut into 7 or 8 rounds using a 2.5-inch round cutter.
- Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with milk.
- Bake at 450°f/230°c/200°c fan degrees for seven to 10 minutes or until risen and golden.
- Cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Sit back, put your feet up and enjoy with a dollop of Pikehall Rhubarb Chutney
Recipe by #BetterThanFeta